From Edithvale to Bonbeach, five dangerous level crossings will be removed. This will fix local road networks and upgrade dangerous intersections. Construction of this vital project will start this year and all level crossings should be removed during 2022. In combination with the level crossing removals, Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach will be receiving brand new modern stations which will provide better connections between their local shops, public transport and the beach. These upgrades it will allow for the closure of Lochiel Avenue. While not many vehicles use the Lochiel Avenue level crossing everyday, it still creates a significant amount of congestion due to the boom gates being down for 39 minutes over the morning peak hour. Now with the improvement of the Edithvale Road intersection just 500m away, vehicles will be able to access the Frankston line a lot more safely and efficiently.
Some key features for each station will be:
- More lighting with an improvement in each station’s facilities
- Six points of entry to reduce commuter congestion
- An improvement in safety for pedestrians and cyclists with new share paths
- All-abilities access and parking will also be improved.
- Secure storage cages for bikes with a greater number of bicycle hoops
NEW STATIONS DESIGNS
Made using natural materials, the designs were inspired by the beautiful surrounding landscapes. The connection with the traditional landowners is seen in the station designs, the woven canopies represent the indigenous textiles and craft found in the area. The community also had an important role in helping us to develop the designs. A general feedback survey was conducted in August and October 2019 which received a wonderful response and that feedback was what helped to refine elements of the station design which included materials and the landscaping.
Some of the feedback included:
- A coastal look and feel to the station designs
- Materials and public art that enhance the local surroundings
- Durable materials such as bluestone, pavers, timber and decorative perforated screens
- A combination of native trees, shrubs, flowering plants and grasses that extend the character of the local area
- A focus on safety for road users and pedestrians.
We are looking forward to getting started on this upcoming project!
Project timeline below retrieved from www.levelcrossings.vic.gov.au
- Site investigations
- Start of relocation of underground services
- Start of works on Nepean Highway
- Major construction underway
- Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach Stations closed
- Major rail closure to dig rail trench and lower rail
- Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach Stations open
- Edithvale, Chelsea andBonbeach level crossings gone and works complete.